One Hundred Books
3.30.2005
  Twenty-Second book

Arcade : Gordon Lish
Four Walls Eight Windows : 1998
Bought at Strand Book Store for $5.00+

Started 3.28.05
Finished 3.29.05

The Line: "Oh, beribboned--I really am really a very big fan of, you know, of beribboned. No kidding, all of these be-something words, all of them, all of them--like, you know, like bestride and so forth--I love them, I love them. Hey, I'm just nuts about words" (64).

I saw Gordon Lish
last week. He looked at me like
I was the freak. Me!
 
Comments:
DM--I'm not sure if you've read other Lish books but this is one of those "disappointing" later efforts by the great madman. I would recommend reading some of his earlier work like Dear Mr. Capote, Peru, and Mourner at the Door. All of those are freakin' great.
 
KS--I love Capote and Mourner, but I haven't read Peru yet (I will now). I'm on a Lish kick, and even enjoyed Arcade some, despite its auto-affective (read: masturbatory) ramblings. I really did see him recently, at an Amy Hempel reading, and I really think I scared him more than he me. Surprising.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
One reader, one year, one hundred books.
NOW WITH ERIN!

Recommendations for David
David's backlog of books to read
View David's Want List (from Powell's)
View David's Want List (from Atomic Books)

Send correspondence to
onehundredbooks (a) gmail.com
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States
ARCHIVES
01.05 / 02.05 / 03.05 / 04.05 / 05.05 / 06.05 / 07.05 / 01.06 / 02.06 / 03.06 / 04.06 / 05.06 / 10.06 / 11.06 / 12.06 /


Powered by Blogger